I want to share with you our current plans for slowly phasing in “IN-STUDIO” classes. As I have stated before, the path forward will take place with careful planning and great attention to detail for the well-being of all.
The City of Columbia, with direction from the Boone County Health Department, has released a COVID-19 Response and Recovery Plan. Under this guidance, a slow and careful plan for reopening has been clearly laid out for both the community and businesses. I fully support the prudence of this plan for a gradual reopening while data is continuously gather and analyzed.
The City of Columbia entered Phase 2: Slow Reopen on May 4. This phase is organized into 4 Steps. and the city is in Step 1 through May 31. The next announcement from the BCHD about moving forward to Step 2 is expected the week of May 25.
When Boone County moves to Step 2 of the city’s Slow Reopen Phase, the studio will gradually reopen. This will take place no sooner than June 1. I will set a date once the official order has been announced.
I have developed a Reopening Plan, following the guidelines set by the BCHD and Yoga Alliance. When the studio reopens, expect clear signage to promote social distancing and new guidelines for safe practice. Here is what you need to know about our Reopening Plan:
- We will reopen GRADUALLY, with some classes LIVE ONLINE and some Classes IN-STUDIO.
- IN-STUDIO classes will be limited to a MAXIMUM of 11 students, less than 25% of our occupancy requirement
- Social Distancing will be observed at all times: on arrival, check-in, during practice and when leaving the studio.
- Practice space will be clearly marked to keep students 6 feet apart
- All sign-in and payments will be non-contact
- Students will bring their own mat and props
- As we reopen, one to two IN-STUDIO classes will be offered per day, limiting the maximum number of people in the studio to 24 people per 24 hour period.
Here are answers to some FAQ’s I have received:
- 21 Day Sunrise Yoga will take place LIVE ONLINE only
- Specific classes will be either LIVE ONLINE or IN-STUDIO, we cannot do both at once
- Some classes will continue LIVE ONLINE through June and July as indicated by social distancing guidelines.
- Upon consultation with the BCHD, masks are not required during yoga practice as social distancing is followed and the maximum group size is small.
- Students will be asked to attend only when they and those in their household are fever free and symptom free.
We are entering a time when anxiety is high and balance is tenuous. Though we are all navigating this crisis together, our collective experience and our individual experience may differ. Fears, judgement, anger and paranoia flourish as we lose the foundational rhythms that guide us. Through practice, our intention is to turn from fear to equanimity, from judgement to compassion and from anger to allowing. As we navigate change yet again, I ask that you seek on a daily basis whether IN STUDIO or LIVE ONLINE practices best allow you to feel nurtured, connected and supported.
When dealing with difficulty I call upon the energy of Ganesh, the deity that governs the root chakra, The root chakra is the foundation of our energy body, which is connected to security, safety and survival. Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha is a chant for transformation, grounding and removing obstacles.
As we take small and difficult steps forward I am sustained by the love that binds our yoga community together and the gift of awareness and clarity. I look forward to the day that we look back on this difficult time, flourishing in the practice that sustained us through the most difficult of days.